The method of ironing clothes has improvised significantly over a period of time. Earlier, when coal irons were the only option, these days steam irons are the ones in fashion. Understanding the needs of the time in today’s era and the complexities and varieties of clothes that we wear every day, we need irons that can be fit for all purposes.
There are add on features such as a digital display for adjusting the temperature and amount of steam needed as per the type of cloth such as cotton, wool, silk, linen, etc. If you buy the best steam iron in India, you will contribute to extending the life of the fabric to be ironed. Therefore, we have brought some of the chosen and preferred steam irons for your research.
For more information on how to choose the best steam iron and the features, do not forget to check on our section on buying guides and frequently asked questions.
1. Black+Decker BD BXIR2202IN 2200-Watt Steam Iron (Grey)
Black & Decker is a high-quality steam iron that promises convenience and seamless ironing experience. For even distribution of the steam on the cloth, there are small vents on its surface which are coated with the ceramic to prevent any damage to the cloth. While you have been struggling with the creases on thick clothes, it's steam bursting function might just help. It has an inbuilt intelligence in its system to find out the degree of temperature needed and adjusts itself accordingly in case you may find it a little confusing.
- The soleplate coated with ceramic ensures even distribution of heat
- Anti-drip feature to safeguard the cloth from water dripping
- Steam output- 35g/min and steam boost- 90g/min.
- Water storage capacity- 380 ml
- Steam burst function for the rigid crease
- Anti clock function
- Self-clean feature to remove the built-up of scales
- Vertical steam which is suitable to all types of cloth fabrics
- It comes with a warranty of 2 years
- Some of the vents do not function at the same time
Why will you like this?
Black Decker is a befitting steam iron for household purposes. Loaded with a number of features, it comes in a decent price range. It has been designed to make your work easier, quicker and smoother. The product has passed various quality testing procedures to ensure the safety and performance parameters of high grade. It is one of the best iron to buy for your wardrobe day to day ironing needs.
2. Crompton Greaves ACGSI-PYRO 1600-Watt Steam Iron (White and Purple)
Crompton Greaves is an established name in the sector of electronic appliances. This steam iron is designed with utmost care while keeping in mind the need for handling delicate clothes and fabrics. The soleplate helps in moistening the cloth surface so that it can be ironed in less time and with precision. For stubborn creases, there is a water spray feature too. The power of 1200 Watt helps in quick healing and readiness of the iron when you are in a hurry to get your clothes ironed such as last-minute hassle.
- Twin layer coating on the soleplate to ensure better functioning of iron
- Enhanced safety features to avoid stickiness of clothes
- Temperature control dial to change the settings as per need
- 360-degree swivel cord to enable easy movement in all directions while ironing
- 6 type of fabric settings
- It consumes 1200 watt power
- Steam burst feature for tough clothes
- Lightweight appliance
Why will you like this?
This is a robust quality iron that comes with nonstick coating. It means that your clothes will not go on to stick to the soleplate every now and then which generally happens with ordinary irons. Moreover, there are 6 fabrics setting so that you can accomplice the type of setting with every cloth. The best feature of this steam iron is that there is NO LEAKAGE of water while ironing. So rest assured, and give your clothes a good treatment with one of the best iron for clothes.
3. Usha Steam Pro 3820 2000-Watt Steam Iron (Blue)
Usha Steam Pro iron is a value for money appliance designed by keeping your need for the crisp and laundry-type iron finish in mind. Its fine spray will help you in dealing with difficult creases on heavy garments so that your clothes do not stay wrinkled even after ironing. It has a self-cleaning feature to enhance the life of this steam iron. The soleplate has been coated with nonstick material to ensure that the clothes do not stick on to it while ironing.
- Two types of steam burst functions-vertical and horizontal to suit your needs
- Steam output-20 gm/min; consumes power- 1300 Watt
- Poly Teflon coating on sole plate to give non-stick and smooth glide over the clothes at the time of ironing
- Self-clean feature to ensure the long life of the appliance
- Comfortable grip
- The capacity of the water tank is 300 ml
- 19 steam holes to evenly distribute steam over the surface
- Safety feature shuts down the overheating of the iron
- Iron is very lightweight and you may have to apply slight pressure while ironing
- Complains of water dripping at lower temperatures
Why will you like this?
This steam iron by Usha is a cost-effective appliance that gives value for money features to the buyers. It is a lightweight product and with a little pressure application, you can get crispy creases and laundry type cloth finish. The grip is easy to be held while operating and the self-cleaning feature is there to ensure that the product comes with a long-life warranty.
4. Maharaja Whiteline Aquao Plus 1300-Watt Steam iron
Maharaja Whiteline Steam Ironworks efficiently to remove the tough wrinkles off your clothes. Its strong power consumption of 1300 Watts takes very little time in preparing the iron to be ready for use. The tank capacity of 150ml allows you to iron quite a number of clothes once filled up. You can set up the temperature as per the requirement and type of fabric with the help of an adjustable control knob. Its vertical steam outlay feature enables you to iron the clothes even when they hanging. You can even iron your curtains in that way!
- Steam output: 40 gm/min; steam rate: 0-13 gm/min
- It works on a power of 1300Watt to heat up quickly
- Vertical steam output suits all fabrics
- Tank capacity of 150 ml to allow you to iron a number of clothes in one go
- Unique self-clean feature to enhance the longevity of the appliance
- The soleplate is coated with nonstick PTFE to ensure the clothes do not stick to the hot surface
- Varying temperature control with an adjustable knob
- Its handle is smaller in size than other steam irons
Why will you like this?
The design of Pristine Steam Iron by Maharaja Whiteline is made in such a way that it reaches the narrow seems and edges to make them look crisp and shiny. The self-clean feature ensures that the loose minerals do not get deposited inside the tank in the long run. This feature is crucial in enhancing the life as well as the performance of the appliance in daily use.
5. Havells Plush 1600-Watt Steam Iron (Black)
Havells Plush Steam Iron is another attempt by the company to bring lifestyle based products in the market that emphasize safety, experience, and performance. This Steam Iron is furnished with a sole plate which is coated with nonstick material to ensure seamless gliding through the fabrics. Its dual-sealed steam generator works effortlessly to help you in removing the creases and wrinkles from the garments. The thermostatic control dial allows you to modify the temperature in a best-needed way.
- Utilizes 1600 Watt power with an enhanced heating capacity
- Large tank capacity- 230ml
- Its ergonomic design offers a convenient grip for handling
- The soleplate is coated with nonsticky outside layer to ensure smooth gliding over the fabrics
- The unique spray and steam functions are there to be used as per the need of ironing
- Adjustable controls of temperature
- Enhanced utility with a 360-degree swivel cord
- Added safety feature with overheat protection circuit- it cuts the power off when overheated
- Increased shelf life with a self-cleaning feature
- There is 2 years warranty on the product
- A bit expensive than other models
Why will you like this?
The power of 1600 Watt ensures that you do not really have to get yourself tired up while ironing the clothes. In fact, you may just enjoy the seamless crease removal experience. There is a filling cup along with the iron in its package through which you can easily add water to its water tank. The ergonomic design enables the user to have a comfortable grip while letting the iron remove creases off your clothes.
6. Philips GC1905 1440-Watt Steam Iron with Spray (Blue)
Philips is the leading brand of electronics in India. This steam iron is not only competitive in price but also in features as compared to the other leading brands. It comes with a reliable design and efficient sole plate to remove difficult creases. The steam iron releases steam at a good pace- 13-17g/min depending on the type of fabric. The spray moistens the surface of the cloth sufficiently and lets you remove the wrinkles off it with much ease. You can use the temperature control knob for adjusting the heat as per the requirement of the cloth.
- Steam output: 17-17 gm/min
- The soleplate is made up of aluminum metal which gets heated up with a good pace
- Fine spray to evenly dampen the cloth surface for ironing
- Easy filling and emptying of the water tank
- There are knobs to control and adjust temperature and steam settings
- Pushbutton to regulate steam spray
- The product comes under a warranty of 2 years
- Leakage happens if the knobs are not positioned properly or kept for too long in a vertical position
Why will you like this?
This is one of the best iron box in the given price range and with the prescribed set of features. The buyers have approved of it being a complete value for money steam iron. The best way to outcome the shortcomings is to follow the instruction manual and make the optimal use of this steam iron. The light-weight model is easy to handle and glide through the clothes for ironing.
7. Bajaj Majesty DX 11 1000-Watt Dry Iron (Blue/White)
Bajaj is an Indian brand that has brought various cost-effective and high-quality appliances for households. This steam iron comes with a robust steam output of 12gm/min for a well-creased output of a garment. It has a non-stick coating on its surface to ensure that the heated plate does not stick to the fabrics while ironing. There are 23 steam outlets to ensure that the heat gets evenly distributed on the surface of the cloth while ironing. The vertical ironing feature is another classic attribute that lets you iron the hanging clothes without even taking them down such as curtains and shirts etc.
- Adequate water tank capacity of 150 ml
- Works on effective power: 1250 Watts
- Powerful spray feature to remove the tricky creases. Steam output: 12 gm/min
- 23 steam vents on the soleplate to allow even distribution of heat
- Non-stick coating on the soleplate to prevent sticking of fabric
- Vertical steam ironing feature for hanging clothes and curtains
- 360-degree movement of swivel cord to let you move it in every direction without making many efforts
It comes under warranty of 2 years
- The temperature control knob is a little tight while being used
Why will you like this?
This steam iron comes with a sufficiently long swivel cord with a length of 1.8 m. There are written instructions that come along with the manual that guides the user to make the best use of this iron. You just need to let the iron rod get heated enough to allow the steam to function properly.
8. INALSA Steam Iron Optra-1400W
Inalsa steam iron operates on a power of 1200-1400Watts. It comes with an adjustable knob that allows you to set the temperature to varying degrees. It consists of a long swivel cord and an ergonomically designed handle to ensure ease of operating. The soleplate is coated with a ceramic coating that provides non-sticky gliding finish to the clothes. You will wrinkle-free, crisp appearing clothes effortlessly by using this steam iron.
- Operates on the power of 1200-1400 Watts
- Steam output: 18 gm/min
- The ceramic soleplate is meant for distributing the heat and steam evenly and ensuring non-sticky gliding across the fabric while ironing
- Steam holes aligned to maximum steam through the soleplate
- Temperature controls knobs let you adjust the temperature for different types of fabrics
- It comes under a warranty of 2 years from the manufacturer
- When laid down horizontally, there is water leakage at times (usually on low temperatures)
Why will you like this?
A few precautious steps while using this steam iron will lead you to a smooth experience of ironing. You need to know that the steam knob setting should be used only when the soleplate is sufficiently hot. It will help in preventing the water leakage issue. Also, the temperature needs to be set against the type of fabric adequately. You will get the complete value of your money with this high performing steam iron from the house of INALSA.
9. INALSA Steam Iron Hercules-1400W,(Blue/Grey)
Another product from the INALSA brand, this Steam Iron delivers great performance with sufficient power of 1400Watts. It has a non-stick coating on the soleplate which will ensure that your fabric does not get damaged or harmed with its use. It has a water tank that can be easily filled and emptied with super fast speed. This steam iron can be used for both the functions of steam as well as dry. There can be varying settings of temperature and steam using its knobs.
- Works efficiently and gets heated up quickly with the power usage of 1400 watts.
- The non-stick coating on the soleplate to avoid any damage to the fabric
- Superfast filling and emptying of the water tank
- Temperature and steam can be adjusted with the help of knobs
- It has a self-clean feature to avoid any scaling in the water tank and keeping the ironwork for a longer time
The wide capacity of the water tank- 250 ml
- 2-year warranty on the product
- The non-stick feature is not very effective
Why will you like this?
This steam iron consists of 250 ml tank capacity that allows the water to be filled with ease and get emptied too when the job is finished. The holes on the soleplate are aligned in such a way that the heat and the steam get evenly distributed on the surface. It works on the principle of dynamic steam technology to give maximum output in lesser time.
10. Philips GC1920/28 1440-Watt Non-Stick Soleplate Steam Iron
Philips is undoubtedly one of the best appliance manufacturers in India. This is the second steam iron listed in our top 10 picks and there is a reason for it- high performance and value for money attributes. Operating on a powerful energy of 1440 watts, this steam iron takes no time in giving you a smooth, shining finish. The spray function evenly dampens the outer surface of the cloth to make ironing easier and quicker. The soleplate consists of ‘black American heritage coating’ which is unique in itself and does not let the cloth cling to the surface of hot iron, preventing any damage.
- Uses energy efficiently with a power of 1440 watts
- Steam output: 17gm/min with variable settings available
- The water tank capacity if 180 ml which is sufficient for a number of clothes at a time
- Swivel cord with a long length of 1.8 m providing freedom of movement in all directions
- Self-cleaning feature to avoid any mess in the water tank
- ‘Black American Heritage Coating’ to avoid stickiness with clothes and ensuring smooth gliding
- The wire gets twisted after a few uses. So you will need to manually open the twists.
Why will you like this?
If you are looking for a sturdy solution to your ironing needs, this Philips iron is just the right product for you. It can easily and efficiently iron rough and tough clothes such as Jeans to very delicate fabrics such as silk and chiffon. It has a high-quality thermostat which will not alter the performance years after years. Its 3 pin connector plug is stable and can be used diligently for many years without experiencing any loose ends.
Buying guide: How to choose the best steam iron?
1. Power: You must choose a model that uses power optimally. There can be some steam irons that use a power of 1700 watts but do not evenly distribute the heat while there can be others that use only 1200 watts and give high-performance results. So, look into the measures of power along with other features by comparing 2 or more models.
2. Steam output: You will find varying steam outputs in the form of x gm/minute. Just check with your chosen model at what rate does it release the steam. The better is the steam release the easier it is to iron difficult clothes.
3. Soleplate: In the previously manufactured irons, the fabric used to stick to the sole plates quite often. It resulted in burnt marks on the clothes usually. These days the sole plates have been improvised and various non-stick coatings are available to ensure that sole-plate does not let the fabric get damaged and stuck.
4. Steam vents: It is better to look for a steam iron with more number of steam vents. The simple logic is that- more the number of steam outlets, more is the emission of steam leading to better ironing efficiency.
5. Vertical steam output: This is a new and much-desired feature in the modern steam irons. You can iron your clothes even when they are hanging using the vertical steam feature such as trousers or shirts in hanger or curtains in their rods.
6. Steam blast: This is another common feature in the advanced steam irons that comes with the press of a button. As soon as you press the button, the steam gets ejected with a thrust to remove rigid creases immediately.
7. Temperature and steam control knobs: Various settings of temperature and steam allow the users to alter these settings as per the requirement of the fabric at the time or ironing. These settings are a must-have in every iron.
8. Self-cleaning feature: The scales of calcium tend to build up inside the water tank due to the hardness of water and the formation of steam. Due to this deposition, your steam iron starts lagging in the performance with time. If you want a better-performing iron all the time, look for this feature in your steam iron.
9. Swivel cord: A good length of the cord allows the users to make free movements in all directions. Therefore, check the product specification for a 360-degree rotating long swivel cord in the steam iron before buying it.
8. Auto- cut off feature: There are situations when we tend to forget changing the settings of temperature in a steam iron. This auto-cut off feature enables the steam iron to turn off the excessive heat according to the temperature settings
1. Which is the best steam iron to buy?
2. Which is the best soleplate for steam iron?
A. Buy a sole plate with nonstick coating on its surface so that the clothes do not get harmed by sticking to it. You can choose from a variety of coatings which are available with the products as per their specifications.
3. Can I use steam iron for dry ironing?
A. Yes, steam iron can be used for dry ironing by simply changing the setting to dry using its control knobs.
4. Which is better- steam iron or dry iron?
A. There is no water tank in dry iron. If you will need to remove some rigid creases or wrinkles from clothes, you will have to manually sprinkle the water over the clothes. While steam iron has spray and steam bust features to ease the job for you. Dry iron is mostly used to dry up the already moist surface of clothes. It is always better to invest in steam iron which can be used for both purposes.
5. What type of water should be used in steam iron?
A. It is always better to use distilled water to prevent any deposition or scaling which occurs due to the presence of various minerals in the hard water.
6. How to use the vertical steam function?
A. You need to let the iron get heated up to a high temperature to let the steam get formed properly. Then, you need to hold the iron in a vertical upright position. Now, just glide the iron gradually on the fabric letting the creases get dissolved.
As compared to dry irons, the steam irons are the best solutions to treat the difficult and rigid wrinkles off the clothes. These days when the social commitments and outings are expected every now and then, we all find ourselves in a situation where we need well ironed and creased clothes in no time! A good steam iron can just be a boon to you during such situations. Not only this, an efficient steam iron saves the time and energy of the user to a great extent. You will get a commercial finish and creases on your clothes every time you will iron them. Therefore, it is better to choose the best steam iron that provides a good output, seamless finish, durable performance, and easy handling features for a long time.