There were days when the sewing machines used to be bulky, heavy, and manual to take a lot of effort, time, and space in stitching. People would dedicate an entire room for a sewing machine so that the noise and a lot of space that is needed to set up could be easily catered to! The modern sewing machines have evolved a long way. Many companies have come up with different sizes, technologies, and convenient features that make stitching a much easier job. A lot of companies have forayed with different designs of machines that occupy lesser space, create less noise, and vary in price based on their features. This is why when you venture out to buy a sewing machine next time, just buy the best sewing machine in India that would suit your requirements.
Through this article we will help you in making the buying decision easier. You will find 7 best sewing machines in our list that have been reviewed based on their market presence and customer feedback.
1. Singer Promise 1408 Sewing Machine
The Singer Promise 1408 sewing machine is built up with all the basic features that cater to your needs. It consists of an automatic buttonhole and simple stitch selection. It comes from the house of Singer that speaks for its promising quality and performance. For a basic sewing machine setting it consists of 8 built-in stitches that will meet your basic requirements for creating any wonderful project.
- Consists of 8 built-in stitches
- There is an automatic 4-step buttonhole
- Remarkable built with heavy-duty metal frame for longer durability
- To provide easy access to cuffs, collars and other difficult to reach areas it has FREE ARM CONVERTIBLE
- For the beginners, it has preset stitch length and width settings
- Consists of all basic accessories along with the package- zipper foot, an edge guide, all-button foot, needles, bobbins, spool cap, spool pin fit, seam ripper, etc.
- Reliable design
- In smaller towns, the after-sales services need to be catered to
Why will you like this?
This product by Singer is an all-basic purpose meet machine for those who like to do basic stitching wonderfully. It comes with the remarkable built quality and includes all the basic accessories in the package that reduces your job to find out and secure those small things from local shops once you buy a machine elsewhere. It is no doubt one of the best sewing machine for home use in India.
2. Usha Janome Dream Stitch Automatic Zig-Zag Electric Sewing Machine
If you have been looking for a portable model with top-quality performance then you must look at this Dream Stitch Automatic model by Usha Janome range of machines. Usha has garnered a significant name in the sewing machine industry since its inception. This Dream Stitch range by Usha is specially designed to be compatible with your storage needs and meet your stitching requirements.
- It is an automatic zig-zag machine that comes with a compact free arm.
- There is one dial to help you in selecting the stitch pattern
- You can manually control the thread tension to avoid breaking of needle or thread etc.
- The machine comes with 7 built-in stitches that include a 4 step button holing as well
- 7 different applications allow variety in designs- quilting, lace fixing, rolled hemming and smocking
- Drop feed for embroidery
- Auto tripping bobbin system
- Decent sewing speed- 5505 Stitches Per Minute (SPM)
- The product comes with a 2 years’ warranty from the manufacturer
- Light compatible portable model, Easy to store and use
- Sewing light automatically turns on while the machine operates and you cannot switch it off even if you do not need
- There are no accessories with the package
Why will you like this?
Against the bulky heavy machines that require a lot of space for storage, this one can easily fit into your cupboard after use. You can manually adjust the thread tension that helps in ascertaining that the thread and the needle will not break now and then. You can adjust them to medium strength and speed. It consists of 7 applications to help you in bringing variety in making designs on your fabric.
3. Vivir Mini Sewing Machine for Home Tailoring with Extension Table and Sewing Accessories
If you have been looking for the best mini sewing machine in India, then your search might take a pause here. Vivir Mini Sewing Machine is an appropriate machine for home tailoring needs. These machines have recently forayed into the market for beginners’ level. Earlier they were considered as an experiment but now various households adorn them and use them for regular stitching and patching jobs. Considering their low prices and compact size they are like bulls’ eye products for an early bird in stitching work.
- Lightweight, compact size and portable sewing machine
- Adaptable Straight Stitch along with Reverse Swing
- Stylish LED light for beautiful design as well as to allow more focussed approach on stitches
- Easily sews a reliable, sustainable chain locking stitch
- Runs on electricity- allows hands-free stitching
- Foot control pedal for ease (if needed)
- It requires very little electricity for operating. Can also work on AA batteries (4 in number)
- The package consists of a complete sewing kit- bobbins, Thread set, thread cutter
- The accessories that come along with the package are highly useful- extension table, foot pedal, AC adapter, stitch removal tool, measuring tape, etc
- Not suitable for rigid fabric.
Why will you like this?
This is easy to set up a sewing machine that will exactly suit beginners’ stitching requirements. It allows you to go ahead with hands-free stitching as it runs on electricity or foot pedal making it completely convenient for a user. The electricity needed to run it is as much equal to a toy as a kid. You can also operate it on 4 AA batteries. Foot pedal lets you control the speed manually too! Worth giving a try!
4. Usha Bandhan Straight Stitch Composite Sewing Machine
A traditional sewing machine model that will suit all your basic tailoring needs and require minimal maintenance is Usha Bandhan Straight Stitch Composite Sewing Machine. Referring to the old times when it was one of the best tailoring machines in the country, it still is enough for anyone who wants to learn tailoring and stitching like a pro. This machine provides manual control over speed, thread, and needle that is an advantage for a beginner as well as an expert. It consists of all necessary features for sewing such as spring-loaded bobbing winder, auto tripping, ideal stitch forming, reverse stitch, etc.
- Easy to use and understand
- Requires basic maintenance that can be done at home itself such as oiling
- Allows manual control on all operations to fit users’ needs
- Can be used for stitching and sewing variety of fabrics
- For uniform bobbin winding, there is a spring-loaded bobbin winder
- Auto tripping included
- Stitch regulator in the form of the lever for forward and reverse stitch
- For inserting bobbing with ease, there is a removable side plate
- The only disadvantage of these machines is their heavy sizes and unavailability of advanced applications
Why will you like this?
This is an ideal product for your daily basis stitching needs. Ladies from the previous generation who have been involved in stitching and sewing can easily relate to this model. This is a handheld model that helps in carrying out many basic and advanced home-based stitching operations. As it is said that old is gold, the best part about such machines is that- there is hardly any maintenance need once you bring it home.
5. Singer Start 1306 Sewing Machine
The singer is an established name in the Indian sewing machine industry and no doubt it comes in the category of one of the best sewing machine brands in India.
Singer Start 1306 is a stylish model that is designed for beginners in the sewing and tailoring field. Its lightweight design and portable feature make it easy to manage, carry, and keep model for your household. The simple design with loaded advanced features is the real highlight of this product.
- There are 6 stitches built-in as 4 basic stitches, 1 buttonhole and 1 decorative
- The heavy-duty metal frame makes it sturdy and reliable
- Free arm convertible allows you to stitch into the corners that are not easily approachable otherwise
- The right stitch technique enables easier sewing to ensure better results
- The buttonhole threading is simple to save time and give professional results
- The machine allows simple stitch selection for the sewing
- An added high-pressure foot lifter- three presser feet
- LED Light for sewing space
- Preset length and width for stitch
- Electric machine, Speed- 750 Stitches Per Minute
- Darning plate allows free-motion sewing
- The product comes under 2 years manufacturer’s warranty
- The package includes all needed accessories- needles, darning plate, buttonhole foot, zipper foot, all-purpose foot, spool pin felts, bobbins, needle plate screwdriver, seam ripper, vinyl dust cover, lint brush
- The speed of stitching is not very high
Why will you like this?
Singer Start model runs on minimal electricity consumption- 70Watts- to give you a hands-free stitching feature. At the same time you have three presser feet features for better accessibility. If you are a beginner you will not find it much difficult to start operating this machine. Moreover the popularity of this product has led many users to come up with Youtube videos that help you in understanding the best usage techniques with ease.
6. Usha Janome Wonder Stitch Automatic Zig-Zag Electric Sewing Machine
Usha Janome Wonder Stitch Zig Zag Sewing machine is a breakthrough model with advanced features. It enables you to create free-hand designs of embroidery with its drop feed mechanism. It is one of the best stitching machines when it comes to performance and results. You can use the blind hem foot to give finishing to the garments’ bottom hemlines. For a creative tailor or dress designer, this one is a perfect choice.
- Average speed- 860 Stitches Per Minute
- 13 advanced built-in stitches- includes buttonholing
- 21 superior stitch functions that include stretch stitching, rolled hemming, button fixing, smocking, zip fixing, and blind stitch hemming
- It is an automatic zig-zag sewing machine
- Free arm convertible for difficult corners
- Built-in needle threader
- Drop feed embroidery to enable freehand designs
- Two dials for enabling pattern and stitch selection
- Faceplate with color-coded functions
- Runs on electricity to give hands-free stitching experience
- Auto trippin bobbin functionality
- LED light for better visibility of stitches
- Comes with 2 years’ warranty
- Accessories include- basic stitching essentials
- Does not offer a very high speed
Why will you like this?
USHA is a household name in the stitching industry. This is an advanced model for zig-zag stitching and consists of 21 built-in applications to allow you full experimentation in stitching and tailoring. The low noise and vibration feature is another add on to make it one of the best choices of users.
7. CHILLAXPLUS Portable 4 In 1 Mini Sewing Machine With Adapter And Foot Pedal
Are you looking for a mini sewing machine for a simple home-based sewing and stitching requirement? This CHILLAXPLUS portable 4-in-1 Mini sewing machine model is perfectly fit for this purpose. It consists of a retractable spool thread spindle to enable you to easily slip off the thread. Many basic features will meet your requirements and expectations with flying colors especially given to its extremely low price.
- Modifiable straight and reverse stitch sewing settings
- Practical machine for sewing and mending purpose
- Auto sewing through electricity
- Foot pedal choice available
- 2-speed settings- High (H) and Low (L)
- Gives a reliable and strong chain locking stitch
- Portable, compact, lightweight design- needs as much space as a cloth iron only!
- Operates on low power or 4 AA batteries
- Different color options
- LED light for better visibility of fabric while sewing
- Economical price
- Value for money sewing machine
- Not ideal for rough fabric and jeans stuff
Why will you like this?
Considering its price and features you may fall in love with this product. It provides you reliable and strong chain lock stitches that look just professional. You can rely on it during the days when you seriously need basic stitching, sewing or mending. If you have been giving in a lot of time in trying to mend your torn clothes with a hand needle, you will feel amazed at how quickly things get done using this mini sewing machine model.
Buying guide: How to select the best sewing machine in India?
You must get acquainted with the important features that one must notice before spending their hard-earned money into sewing machines in India.
1. Type of sewing machine: There can be different types of sewing machines in India.
-Mechanical: We refer to the old, traditional sewing machine models that were manual, mostly black in color and heavier in weight. The reason that these machines still have a good market is that they require minimum maintenance and can be easily used without much ado. You can handle their basic repair needs on your own anytime.
-Electronic: The electronic sewing machines –as the name suggests – operate on electricity. There are buttons to do the settings and thus you can preset a lot of settings if you already know the basics of stitching.
-Specialty: Such machines are meant for people who are pro in stitching such as tailors, designers, etc. They consist of advanced features such as embroidery, pattern stitching, monogramming, etc. These are usually higher in price too.
2. SPM: Usually referred to “stitches per minute”- this feature refers to the speed of the machine. If you want a high-speed machine or slow speed one- it depends on your level of expertise and choice.
3. Stitch-counts:Most of the machines have an inbuilt basic number pattern of stitches. It depends on how many patterns you may prefer. For meeting up the basic needs you can always go for a minimum of 8 counts that would include 6 basic patterns along with 1 decorative and another 1 for buttonhole. If you are an advanced designer then you can choose and invest in a machine with a maximum number of patterns.
4. Weight and size: The size and weight of a sewing machine generally indicate what it is made up of! A lightweight machine usually has a body of plastic that makes it portable, easy to use, clean, and maintain. A heavier machine has metallic parts that are more sustainable but heavy in weight and prone to rusting at times that need to be maintained.
5. Presser feet choice: You can use your feet to press and run the machine while your hands stay free to manipulate the cloth.
6. Additional features:-Needle threader: It is an advanced feature that is usually found in high-end machines.
-Automatic thread cutter
-Needle shift feature- to stop the needle for turning fabric
-Speed controls- to adjust speed to fast and slow
-Light- enabling you to see the seam and the fabric clearly
7. Noise: You may just want to spend those extra bucks on quality machines that are lesser prone to creating noise.
8. Price and brand: If you are a brand loyal person and do not mind paying a high price then you can buy a model of your choice. However, if you want to get the value for your money then you must look into both these factors simultaneously along with the features. Usually, established brands offer all types of products catering to different segments of customers.
9. Repair, maintenance, and warranty: Most of the machines come with an initial warranty against manufacturers’ defects for a given period. But never take it for granted and check on this feature before buying. Also, try to buy a machine that would require lesser maintenance and repair. You can get to know of this from the feedbacks and reviews provided by existing customers.
1. How often should I get my sewing machine serviced and cleaned?
A. Servicing and cleaning the machine just make it operate smoothly. After starting to use it, you will be able to understand its cleaning and servicing requirements as and when the functioning of the machine becomes rough and obstructed. If your machine is being used regularly you can monitor its servicing on the amount of work. If it is seldom used then just try to clean every time after finishing your work so that next time you find it running in good condition.
2. Why does my sewing machine skip stitches?
A. When the needle gets inserted incorrectly it tends to get bent or blunt that leads the machine to skip the stitches.
3. Why do I keep breaking the needles?
A. If the needle does not get inserted properly, it tends to break more often. Also at times the needle we use is not compatible with the model of the machine or the fabric itself. You can check the problem on these parameters.
4. Why does the upper thread break often?
A. At times needle gets inserted incorrectly or the upper thread tension gets too tight that leads to breakage of the upper thread.
5. Why does my sewing machine make loose stitches or loops?
A. In case if the tension is not adjusted properly, the machine tends to make loose loops or stitches.
Every household feels the need of having a sewing machine sooner or later. Whether you know stitching like a pro or you need it just to do basic sewing and mending, you will need to invest some time and money in finding the best sewing machine for your needs. We hope our products’ list will help you in finding just the right product for you. We have tried to include the best models from a variety of options that are available in the market these days. Also our buying guide will help you in understanding the important features that should be considered while buying the best sewing machine for home needs.