Have you heard of that popular saying?
-“be attached to your soil”.
When we grew up we used to play in the streets, play grounds and open areas for most of the time. And that used to be one of the best things that our parents did- to not stop us from doing so!…
When we see these days most of the parents try too hard to give a good life and education to their children. We take them to play areas and parks so that they can get their “part of interaction” with their friends and natural surroundings. But the moment a child steps into a heap of soil, somebody comes shouting from the outside corners “Don’t make your hands dirty, dont touch the soil, clean them”.
It sounds funny then irky!
The health benefits of children
playing in the soil are much more than the worms and germs that are considered
to be residing in it. People sometimes argue “soil these days is not what
it used to be earlier”… Or “soil of this place is not like that in
our native side”. Seriously..?
If there is flourishing vegetation all around you, just do not doubt your soil.
When children play in soil they develop natural antibodies that help them to be resistant to several diseases. It is again one of my personal experiences that I want to share. My 10 months old son was very prone to cold and cough until I got my garden cleaned and made sure that we play for atleast 2 hours in the soil – DAILY! My initiative was just to make him friendly with the insects and plants around. But when I realised the difference it was worth the share!
People would often tell me “insects will bite, he is too small”. And I would answer with a smile “I am watching over it”. Attachment with the soil not only gives the health benefit but also allows you to know about what exists around you. In many countries the schools organise special classes for children as “sand classes” where the children are made to play and spend some time in the soil to derive its benefits and learn from its properties.
Enlisted here are a few more benefits to the kids playing in soil:-
– They get more used to the external environment that makes their immunity more adaptable even during the slight weather variations.
– The freedom to play and mix up with nature not only fills their heart with joy but also helps them in making a closer connection with the nature itself.
– Their understanding of the state of nature increases and they tend to become more intellectual about nature that includes plants, insects, soil and stones etc.
– They become more self dependant and less vulnerable to being sympathesized for every time they get small injuries.
-They become more free, active and physically fit.
– They derive all the mineral properties from the sunshine and soil that people otherwise give to their children in the form of tonics and tablets (vitamin D, A etc).
– The child becomes physically and mentally tougher and stronger at the same time more empathetic about the existence of life.
– Various concepts of science get self explained by practically looking at the variety of flaura and fauna around.
And it goes on endless !!!
So let us leave the children with a little more freedom. Let them play in the real soil and clay!
Let them feel what exists in the matter around.
-a mommy’s endeavour